Using Call Extensions to Boost Sales
Using Call Extensions to Boost Sales.
Paid adverts on Googles Search Network are very effective at getting visitors onto your site. They are also increasingly important in generating calls to your sales team. A Calls Extension is a simple way to add your company phone number to the paid advert.
But there are a few additional things to think about. Recent research shows basic failures of agencies and businesses to deploy this vital tool effectively.
According to this research:
- about 20% of calls are abandoned,
- and that is a serious loss to your business.
- Can you afford this?
Why are they abandoned?
There are too major reasons:
- the customer is placed on hold too long or their is no answer.
However, apart from ensuring you have the staff to answer the calls.
You also need to refine:
- your Call Extension by adding Scheduling to it to determine when this extension is displayed on your ads.
- Scheduling your Call extension is a no-brainer as there is no point in getting a customer to call when you aren’t there.
We will show you how to do that in a minute. But it’s not the only benefit Call Extensions can offer you.
The analytics available when you use Call Forwarding will give you detailed information not just about the time of calls. Also for example:
- how long each call was and whether it was missed.
- From this you can determine the best staffing levels on the phones.
Using Call Extensions to Boost Sales
Call forwarding is an option:
- that means Google places it’s own specially generated number in the Ad Text,
- or if the advert is showing on a mobile device,
- the Click-to-Call button rings through onto this number.
- Google can then tally this up with your ad campaign and give tracking information.
- The number that is displayed is automatically routed through to the company phone number you specify, via Google.
- You will not pay per minute if a call or call-click leads to a phone call, only the cost of the advert click.
So, lets see how to set up Call Extentions and then add Scheduling –
In your Google AdWords account,
- you can add call extensions at Account,
- Campaign or AdGroup levels.
- Choose the Account, Campaign or Ad Group you want, and go to the Ad Extensions tab near the top.
- Now select View -> ‘Call extensions’.
- You have the option to add a call extension and following the onscreen instructions it is pretty straightforward.
- Select the button “+ New phone number”.
- Select the country, fill in the box for the phone number you want to use, then it asks if you want to use call forwarding or your own number so select either “A Google forwarding phone number” or “My own phone number”.
- You also have the option to give a device preference to Mobiles – normally. This we leave empty, so the number appears on desktops and mobiles.
- Google slightly prioritises putting call extensions on mobiles anyway.
If you click in the Advanced option, you can add scheduling there,
Now you can add scheduling to all days or individual days
- by clicking on the arrows,
- and you can add whatever time slots you like.
- It defaults to 24 hours.
- 7 days-a-week so adding just the times in that you want, gives you full control.
However, make sure your location targeting and time zone all matches up.
It can be difficult to find how to add scheduling if you are editing an existing call extension.
Go to Ad Extensions –
Where there is the phone number:
- hover your mouse over to the right hand side as indicated above,
- you will get an ‘edit pencil’ show up.
- Click on this, them you get another dialogue box,
- hover over the edit pencil that shows again on the right, and now you can check or add your schedule.
If you need any help with increasing your digital activities or more tips on Pay Per Click advertising or Conversion Optimisation or on how to make more opportunities for your business, then please get in contact with us here at Network Intellect.Telephone: +44 (0) 844 543 0980