Ad Sitelinks Reporting & Optimisation
Ad Sitelinks Can Waste Money
- Ad Sitelinks are often a useful ad extension, and putting them on your ad will reduce your cost per clicks.
- However there are issues that can mean they are detrimental to your campaign performance.
- For example, if you put on sitelinks that take people to a page that is irrelevant to their search intent, then you will be paying for wasted clicks.
- This is a given, since only a proportion of people will bother searching your site.
- So knowing how well they drive conversions is the key to assessing their real value. The old AdWords reporting options we had can be misleading.
- Fortunately there is a recent new Analytics report that can assist you in examining what the sitelinks are doing.
New Reporting Options in Analytics
- Google has released this report it into the Aquisition area. Go to Aquisition -> AdWords, then select Sitelinks.
- You will probably find no comparison between what AdWords reports for Sitelink performance and what is shown in Analytics.
- It is worth reviewing these to find out which sitelinks are generating conversions and revenue.
Improving Ad Extension Performance
- If the CPA/ROI is below the ad group average, it may be worth replacing the sitelinks with a different ad extension.
- This would make good sense if the adverts landing page is well matched to user intent.
- For example, when search queries reveal intent and are tightly targetted to a landing page. In this scenario, giving alternative landing pages may be poorly matched. And that will generate wasted clicks.
- In this case, unless you have sub-categories on your site that can funnel a general search query to a relevant sub-category level, or best selling product within that level, then consider removing your sitelink and putting in a different ad extension.
- If your ad is served up to very generic searches where the exact user intent is not known, providing the next level down category in your sitelinks makes sense. Don’t over complicate the text either, as you want people to instantly grasp what the option is.
Alternatives to Ad Sitelinks
- If you can’t see a logical benefit from additional landing page options, and your reports tell you they are wasting clicks, then look at an alternative extension. Good alternatives would be Callout Extensions and Structured Snippets Extensions.
- These provide the visual bulk and appeal of the sitelinks. And you will gain the reduced cost of click benefit that you will have had from Sitelinks.
- You may also find them easier to manage. If you have Call Extensions or Location Extensions and you are reporting on these, this should be enough extensions in most cases.
If you need any help with increasing your digital activities or more tips on how to make more opportunities for your business, then please get in contact with us here at Network Intellect. Please get in contact with us here at Network Intellect.