10 Rules Of Twitter Etiquette
The social media site Twitter can at times feel like a spectator sport. You sit on the sidelines and watch what’s going on with interest and sometimes amazement.
The tweets and interactions can vary greatly, from links to valuable content and humour, to inspirational quotes.
Depsite the site’s simplicity, people need to be aware of the way you should behave on social media sites. Correct social media manners are important if you want to impress people. With this in mind, read on to find out 10 simple rules of Twitter etiquette we would all do well to consider in order to gain more followers and better engagement:
1. Add a profile picture. It is surprising how many people don’t do this important task.
2. Add a description. By looking at some of your information, people who don’t know you will be able to find out what to Tweet with you about.
3. Do not start a tweet with a hashtag. People should see your thought, idea, comment, or story first.
4. Ensure you do not use more than 3 hashtags in a tweet. If you do use three hashtags, do it sparingly as it can become annoying.
5. Some people just don’t follow back. That does not necessarily mean they won’t interact with you though. Tweet them a question, story or idea.
6. Do not strive for follower, strive for engagement. Ask people questions and engage with them. People like this, and in the long run, you will get more followers this way.
7. Even though you have a maximum of 140 characters, you do not have to use all 140 characters. Try sticking to around 120 characters. This will allow other people the ability to retweet you.
8. If you come across a spam account, which is very likely, please report them. The less spam accounts there are on twitter, the better it will be for all of us.
9. If you are struggling on determining how long your tweet should be and what hashtags it should contain etc., remember to just keep it simple.
10. Overall, just make sure you are yourself. Be authentic. Create value and enrich people’s tweets with great content.